Sunday, October 9, 2011

"Messi made ​​me a better player" | David Villa El País Interview - Madrid 10/10/11

Thanks to El País for the interview. Here is the loosely translated English version. The original can be found here: El Pais

David Villa (Tuilla, Asturias, 1981) came to Barcelona a year ago and reinvented himself as a striker. It stopped being pointed reference to accommodate play at left wing, in the shadow of Messi. Top scorer of the Spanish team (49 goals), tomorrow, against Scotland, will be 80 games with the Red.

Question. 
What was the neighborhood, where he grew up?
Answer. Block is an area of ​​my people. They grew up playing football in the street. Anywhere we made a goal with two stones. Now I see my daughters and surely have many more things that could be me, but it is difficult to breed in the street like me.

Q. 
What's that smell your childhood?

A. A happiness.

Q. 
What do they look like those football games where you live?

A. In essence, I just wanted to be a footballer, but I got things I could not even dream of. Before it was just a game. Now a requirement. That's how important it is to participate there. You always have to go to win.

Q. 
They say they love so much football that you don't disconnect.

A. When I'm with the girls, yes. It is true that I spend more time than you should think in football, far more training, games and travel. But I like it. At least I have girls. If you have children, even disconnect less certain, though my oldest daughter likes to watch the games, go to the field.

Q. 
I guess it helps that his wife play football, right?

A. I know she did for so many years! It takes a lifetime to me. I understand. I Know which is my profession and enjoy it. She played until age 15.

Q. 
Is she very critical?

A. No. I'm not getting into that, but I know when I'm having a bad time and there it is.

Q. 
How is the new floor [house]?

A. [Laughs]. The works of the palace are slow ... That's why we have said Xavi asked me, right? There we are. Well, that takes more than my wife, who is the one that understands. What she says is fine. She knows more than me, besides, I want you to like it. I hope that we finish soon.

Q. 
To have purchased home, is a sign of good integration?

A. We are very happy in Barcelona. The truth is that we were lucky. Valencia was great and change is always a risk, but we are very happy.

Q. 
How's the Catalans?

A. Good. I already knew their culture, club ... I knew what we would find and I was not surprised at all. Well, one thing, that we dipped in salsa ... calçots [onions]! They said: "We go to a spring onion." And I thought: "Where?". That did surprise me. But otherwise well. Coming from Valencia, including the language I was used to.

Q. 
Do you think that marginalizes the Castilian Catalonia?

A. Not at all. More or less, as in Valencia. People have their culture, speak their language and that comes out has to be coupled. I have not had any problems. Talking is more difficult, but I was in Valencia a long time: I've learned to understand all.

Q. 
A change of club involves changing habits even on the field ... In your case look very stressed.

A. Yes, I have other duties. Offensively, it's the same: get open on the back, be alert in the area, trying to open the field, away from the central ... All my life I had to flee that fight with the central because my size and I can not get physical in specific fight. So I've taken advantage of the free space. But defensively, it's different. I am proud to have engaged and to enjoy football from a position that until recently was not mine.

Q. 
Are you a better footballer?

A. I am more complete, I think. Maybe I play less, but enjoy. I would not say better ... I would say more complete.

Q. 
Tops less, but combines more.

A. Yes I get and I have occasionally, but more combinations. Valencia was referenced above, alone, and my moves were finding gaps and action for goal. Now I come to the middle, I'm open. It is different and more complete. The most difficult thing was surely catch the defensive work.

Q. 
Before were you working less in the field?

A. No. I came here because I worked hard, I have it clear. I was never a striker to stay stop. If so, I would not have achieved anything. It is a matter of concept: knowing when to push, when to defend ... These patterns, these movements that, when you doing better and in time, you realize that you run less. I told that Pedro was very helpful. When in doubt, looking at him. When I was a bit lost in the field, looking to see what to Pedrito on the other side and I reconducía.

Q. It has been said that Abidal
 gives you more than one voice.

A. Yes, because Abi has more perspective and takes longer to similar items. I positioned. The goalkeeper sees it best. The forwards do not have that perspective that the defense have. You lack vision. Abi helped me a lot. But I'm happy with how everything went.

Q. 
How has Pep Guardiola helped you?

A. If not for him, I don't think I would have adapted. In his talks in training has helped me to place myself. He and his staff supported me a lot. This team works hard. It is therefore only the talent of the players. The coach is the one in the end, fits the talent. The day to day work at the club is different from everything I knew, the way to train and prepare the games.

Q. 
Xavi ensures that success comes from humility.

A. I do not think that is my fault. I come from a poor family and that's what I learned in the day. My wife also is so and so we try to educate our daughters. I do not think that he has more merit because I am. It's that simple. They taught me that with hard work can always be better at what you do not know of another way.

Q. 
What do you want to improve on in your second year?

A. Everything I do on the field I think I can do better than last year. I always had the mindset to improve, and more on football, because every day things are more difficult, people prepare a lot and if you do not renew, if you're not a little further, you're on the road. And in Barcelona, ​​where the demand is huge and every opponent plays like it's the biggest game of the year.

Q. Your
 scoring average has improved.

A. The goal is a component of uncontrollable fate. One day you send it to corner as in Prague and another into the top corner you put it like Wembley.

Q. 
Is that your best goal at Barcelona?

A. All concurred. I got into the story of a big club like Barca: in 50 years will be there, when someone remembers Wembley, I will go myself. From the result, so pretty goal, it was the last to Van der Sar ... That's what I thought then, I did not fall, but it is the last to score a goalkeeper of his importance in the history of football makes me dream. It was a fantastic final between the top two in Europe that year. I am proud of the goal and how I played. But, above all, the way I played. We made small to a big team like Manchester United and that seems impossible. Falls short of a few.

Q. 
Is the gesture that defines this template is that of Puyol giving the bracelet to Abi at Wembley?

A. Surely. And many who were not, but that is one, no doubt. Abi was absolutely unexpected. It was as meaningless. At first, when he told me Manel [Estiarte], I could not even believe. But thanks to God and especially to him, the costume went ahead. He brought us closer together. What Puyi is only available to a person with a big heart. I noticed above. Everyone has dreamed of lifting the Cup at Wembley and he gave it to Abi.

Q. 
Do you mind staining that success?

A. We're above that. We know why we got what we did well to get ... The rest I do not care.

Q. 
It seems incredible that in a year like this, you were world champions in South Africa and Europe in Wembley with the club, the Spanish football out spotting.

A. More outside. The players have been easy knowing what's there. Obviously, we have seen things that are not pretty, but is normal in games so much tension, which will play both. Well, I do not know if the word is pretty ... There were things that I did not like me or anyone, but [bueno...]

Q. 
This year look set to keep fighting the Barcelona and Madrid, that the League is bipolar.

A. The League will gain it every Sunday. We've just played two games against Madrid. But it is clear that Madrid is a very strong team, which has long been greatly strengthened with spectacular players. The challenge of winning at Madrid is getting bigger because it is getting better. But we can do it.

Q. 
Who do you think plays better, the club or the Spanish?
A. We play different. It's similar, but different. But clearly, today, I think the club and make the choice more attractive football.


Q. Is 
Xavi the cornerstone of the two teams?
A. Xavi would be the cornerstone of any team in the world. In any generation. Not in this: in past or future. It is unique. Much of the boat and the choice is yours to play as well as printing.


Q. 
The difference would be Messi.

A. Surely.

Q. 
I have a friend who holds that Messi should play some time with each team.

A. Maybe. It is outstanding. The coach said: You can't talk of Leo, you have to see it. I have not ever seen something like this: every day you think you can not beat it, you've already seen everything, and the next morning doing another. He's a humble guy who has not been successfully raised the head, with a very humble family, which is always with him, watching them on their way to be who know where they come, with very strong roots ...No matter how you play, there is an exceptional companion Messi earns our affection not only for what he gives us in the field, but also and more importantly, how you share in the locker room, the way it is.

Q. 
How is Messi?

A. It is a very demanding player who is on your side because you always have to watch. Sometimes it seems impossible for you to see and he has seen you. Be prepared for the impossible when you play with Leo because, well, not what he does, is what makes doing to others. Put a lot of goals, but it generates many more things to the team: low, open spaces, has a sensational final pass, generous ... It's wonderful playing alongside him. Sincerely, Leo playing beside me has improved me. Look, I know that tomorrow, when they leave pictures of Leo and I appear close, I can say: "I played with Leo Messi." It is a privilege.

Q. 
Excuse me, but where did the singing come from?

A. I do not know ... I've always loved music and singing, I guess like everyone. But, as I recorded with Ana Torroja subject to a beneficial action, which of course I'm very proud ... I hesitated a lot about that if it was my voice or not ... So in the end I had to sing at the Camp Nou in a moment of unconscious happiness.

Q. 
In front of 100,000 people. That has only been done by Lluís Llach, Zubi and Valdes

A. Do not know the shame I went through. In my village we say: "Zapatero, your shoes." So ... I work best at scoring goals.

Interview credit: 
LUIS MARTÍN

No comments: